University Policies
contact us          SU home
Keyword Search Policy Home

Employment, Workplace Rules, Benefits and Governmental Notices

Payroll Authorization and Payroll Records



Policy Statement

To ensure that the University's records are accurate, and for tax reporting purposes, all new hire employees must have a copy of their Social Security Card sent to the Payroll Service Center. If an employee does not have a card, a receipt from the Social Security Administration indicating application for a card must be sent to the Payroll Service Center. Upon receipt of the card, the employee must submit a copy of it to the Payroll Service Center. Additionally, any Demographic Action Notice (DAN) form or form W-4 submitted for an existing employee that indicates a name or social security number other than what is currently on the employee's payroll record, must also have a copy of the employee's Social Security Card attached. To obtain a card, an individual must complete Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, and submit it to the Social Security Administration.

Policy Administration

Links to Procedures and Related Information

Amended: September 2005

© 1995 - 2008 Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244      (315) 443-1870

For technical assistance contact