Non-Motorized Wheeled Vehicle Use on University Property
Faculty, staff, and students
Syracuse University acknowledges the advantages associated with the use of non-motorized wheeled vehicles, including but not limited to skateboards, roller skates, rollerblades, scooters and bicycles (collectively "Non-Motorized Wheeled Vehicles"), as a means of convenient and energy efficient transportation on campus. The University is willing to permit the use of Non-Motorized Wheeled Vehicles on campus, provided that users take appropriate precautions to protect the safety of persons and property. This Policy is established to address safety concerns of the Syracuse University community posed by the use of Non-Motorized Wheeled Vehicles and to minimize potential damage to University property from the use of these vehicles.
The use of Non-Motorized Wheeled Vehicles is prohibited in the following locations:
- inside University buildings;
- ion loading docks, stairs, banisters, railings, landings, ramps, walls, sculptures, benches and other seating areas;
- ion athletic or recreational playing venues; and
- ianywhere such activities are prohibited by sign
Non-Motorized Wheeled Vehicles should not be locked to handrails, handicap ramps, buildings, trees, or any other location besides racks provided by the University for the purpose of securing the vehicle.
Enforcement - Persons violating this Policy shall be subject to sanctions including but not limited to the following:
- Students shall be subject to sanctions for violation of University policy in accordance with the University Judicial System policies and procedures.
- iFaculty, staff and other employees shall be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with applicable University policies and procedures.
- iVisitors and other persons present on University premises (with or without permission) shall be subject to arrest and prosecution for offenses including but not limited to trespassing. The Department of Public Safety will be responsible for enforcement.
- iIn addition to or in lieu of any or all of the foregoing sanctions, persons violating this Policy may be held financially responsible for damage caused to University property, and shall make restitution to the University upon demand.
Amended: May 2011
Amended: August 2005
© 1995 - 2008 Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244 • (315) 443-1870
For technical assistance contact email@example.com